A filling low calorie, low carb soup with multiple uses
The family loves this recipe as a soup but I’ve discovered this cauliflower puree can be used to whip up Creamy Parmesan Zoodles and Less-Guilt Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Roast the cauliflower and garlic
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees
- Break up 2 heads cauliflower on baking sheet; drizzle with Olive Oil and season with Sea SaltRoast 1 1/2 head cauliflower,
- Roast for 15 minutes
- Add 10 cloves rough chopped garlic
- Continue roasting 10 minutes
- When lightly browned, pull cauliflower out of oven; set aside
Prepare the soup
- On stove top, place deep soup pot on medium high heat
- Add two table spoons of Olive Oil
- After oil is hot, add 1 chopped onion; stir frequently
- After about 4 minutes, add 1 tablespoon cumin
- Add 1 teaspoon Gas Il Hanout (careful, a little goes a long way).
- If you don’t have this, no worry, it just adds a nice heat and savory flavor. You could always replace with a few shakes of red pepper flakes.
- After mixture of onion and spices are browned (about another 3 minutes), add 6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- Bring liquid to a boil
- (Optional: Add 1 quartered russet potato boil for 4 minutes.)
- The potato adds a nice texture to soup — but totally not a showstopper if you’re avoiding starchy vegetables.
- Add roasted cauliflower and garlic
- Bring liquid back to a boil; continue boiling for 5 minutes
- Reduce to medium low heat; continue simmering for 10 minutes
- Turn off heat; let liquid cool for 10 minutes
- Puree liquid and vegetable mixture: I like to use a hand mixer right in the pot but you can also use a blender. If using a blender, I like to work in batches. Either way, be careful of hot splashes from liquid!!!
- (Optional: Add additional stock little by little until desired consistency is reached; incorporate into puree by stirring well)
- (Optional: Add 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegan butter (which is made of cashews) — incorporate into puree by stirring well)
- I prefer using vegan butter; gives the soup a subtle nutty flavor and creaminess I enjoy
- Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste
- As someone that doesn’t like my foods overly salty, I usually stop here and let people season their bowl of soup to their preference.